The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

La La Land Review

More stories from Diandra Alvarado ‘17

http://redcarpetcrash.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/la.png

With the award season upon us, let us take this time to discuss the critically acclaimed movie that swept the Golden Globes this year: La La Land.

La La Land follows the story of Mia (Emma Stone) and Sebastian (Ryan Gosling): two aspiring artists struggling to find success in Hollywood amongst the hundreds of other hopefuls in the crowd. As Mia follows her dream of becoming an actress and Sebastian struggles to hold onto his passion for traditional jazz, the two fall in love despite an initial sour meeting – “sour” is putting their exchange of hand gestures nicely. It is a film about the people who inspire your great creations, challenge your conviction, and remind you of who were always meant to be. Stone and Gosling, yet again, bring their undeniable chemistry onto the silver screen, inviting the audience alongside through their story. It is a testament to Stone and Gosling’s skill that they can get you to care about these characters, to hang onto each cheerful moment and affect through each painful one as well.

But let us not forget about the music. La La Land hearkens back to old classic movies, such as beloved Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire musicals. With its grand musical numbers, charming dance duets and raw performances, older audiences are transported back their childhood, because “they simply don’t make them like this anymore.” The film’s music is infectious and entertaining with its songs like “Another Day of Sun,” yet galvanizing with Stone’s “The Audition.” Although Stone and Gosling are not professional singers, they compliment each other’s voices in the award winning ballad, “City of Stars” which once again illustrates the harmony between Gosling and Stone as actors. La La Land‘s music progresses the story line along in a way that effortlessly develops the characters and their relationships, and creates a whimsical world for the audience to enter.

It is an extraordinary feeling to walk out of a theater after 128 minutes and feel genuinely impacted – for a film to root itself somewhere inside of you. It may not happen for all, but La La Land certainly has that capability because it is not just a film you watch, but one that you experience.