The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

This Week in Sports Recap

Rachel Alibozek ’17

More stories from Rachel Alibozek '17

Elmira College Athletics

Elmira College Athletics

Men’s Basketball:  

On Tuesday, January 24th, Elmira fell 45-78 to Empire 8 competitor Nazareth College. The game started out slow, only scoring 2 points in the first eight minutes, but they were able to find their momentum afterward to have a more successful second half. Three players had a combined scored 22 of the 28 points in the second half of the game. Junior Adam Park ’18 went 3-for-3 and scored eight points, which is his new season-high number of points scored in a game. Sophomore Justin Porrett ’19 scored a game-high 11 points in the second period and was the highest scorer of the night. Freshman Jesse Adelson ’20 was the only Soaring Eagle to score a 3-pointer in the second half and scored a total of 6 points, all in the second half, but also had the most rebounds of the night with five.

On Saturday, January 28th, Elmira fell 63-78 to Empire 8 competitor Hartwick College in an away match. Multiple players had either season-high personal points per game or double digit scoring in this game. Justin Porrett ’19 scored 6 points, had 7 assists, and also had a personal season-high of 8 rebounds. Alex Isciropoulos ‘20 scored 9 points all in three-pointers. Hayden Harkins ’18 had his second highest points per game with 18, second to the game against Hartwick earlier this season where he scored 19. Henry Cuffee ’19 scored his second season-highest points per game with 14 points, second to a game against St. Lawrence University earlier this season where he scored 15. Elmira ended the game as the team with the most rebounds, the most assists, and a season-high seven steals.

Women’s Basketball:

On Tuesday, January 24th, Elmira fell 56-71 to Empire 8 competitor Nazareth College. It was a close game until the last few minutes of the fourth quarter, where Nazareth took the advantage. Rachel Vespucci ‘19 earned her eighth double-double of the season, which has not been done since Jennifer Parker ’06 earned 10 of them in the 2003-4 season. Lindsey Heaton ‘19 played the seventh straight game where she personally scored double-digit points, which has not been done since last year by teammate Danielle Cleary ’18.

On Thursday, January 26th, Elmira took the victory 69-50 over Wells College in a home match. This game has historical significance as Danielle Cleary ’18 became the sixth player in Elmira College women’s basketball history to score 1,000 points. The game was evenly matched until the fourth quarter, where Elmira took the advantage. In addition to Cleary having scored over 26 points, Rachel Vespucci ’19, Lindsey Heaton ’19, and Lauren Franklin ’20 also had notable performances. Vespucci scored 13 points and had a game-high 15 rebounds, Heaton scored 16 points, had 6 assists, and 6 rebounds, and Franklin set a personal-high 14 rebounds.

On Saturday, January 28th, Elmira College fell 53-74 to Hartwick College in an away match. Lindsey Heaton ’19 had a strong game scoring a personal season-high 17 points and personal career-high 9 assists, which has not been done in one game since 2009 by Marcia Coakley ’09. Other double-digit scorers included Danielle Cleary ’18 who scored 13 points and had 7 rebounds, Emily Green ’18 with 11 points scored, and Rachel Vespucci ’19 with 10 points scored and 8 boards.

Men’s Ice Hockey:

On Friday, January 27th, Elmira College fell in a controversial overtime loss 4-3 to Stevenson University. The first period ended down by 1 after an unassisted power-play goal by Nick Ford ’20. The second period also held one goal for each Stevenson and Elmira. EC’s goal was a power-play goal scored by Tyler Theodoulou ’18, who was assisted by Connor Powell ’20 and Nick Ford ‘20. The third period resulted in only one goal for Elmira, tying the game. This was scored by Connor Powell ’20 after goalie Sal Magliocco ’17 was pulled to give Elmira a 1-man advantage. This was assisted by both Nick Ford ’20 and Harry Kramer ’20. Overtime was evenly-matched and with only five seconds left, the audience was thinking it would result in a tied game. However, Stevenson’s Mike Davis got the puck behind Magliocco to win the match with only four seconds left on the clock. On a positive note, Theodoulou’s power-play goal put him at 6 power-play goals this season, ranking him nationally at having the seventh most power-play goals in the country. Stevenson University stole the win with a controversial goal with only 4 seconds left of the sudden-death overtime.

On Saturday, January 28th, Elmira College took the win 7-1 over Lebanon Valley College at the Murray Athletic Center. Five goals were scored in the first period, with credit going to Matthew Cuce ’20, Nick Ford ’20, Joseph Hall ’20, Spencer MacLean ’20, and Chris Moses ’19. Assists were credited to Nick Ford ‘20, Harry Kramer ‘20, Connor Powell ’20, Mitch Atkins ’19, Eddie Nolan ’17, and Andrew Pucci ‘20. The second period held a goal for Powell, assisted by MacLean and Cuce, and the single goal for Lebanon Valley. The third period only consisted of one goal scored, also scored by Elmira’s Powell, who was assisted once again by Cuce and MacLean.

Women’s Ice Hockey:

On Tuesday, January 24th, Elmira College took the victory 4-0 over nationally ranked Amherst College. Elmira College is nationally ranked at #4/5 and, previous to this loss, Amherst was ranked #8/10. The first period held a goal for Katie Granato ‘19, who was assisted by Maddie Evangelous ‘19 and Maddy Jerolman ‘19. The second period also held only one goal for Elmira College. This was scored by Kristin Chivers ‘19, who was assisted by Meghan Fonfara ‘18. The third period held a pair of goals for EC, being scored by Shannon Strawinski ‘19, who was assisted by Evangelous and Granato, and Granato, who was assisted by Evangelous and Jerolman. Goalie Kelcey Crawford ’18 had a season-high 32 saves in goal, while Amherst’s goalie, Bailey Plaman, only had 16 saves. This is the first win over a nationally-ranked team for EC women’s hockey since the end of last season when they beat Middlebury College 4-1 and Maddie Evangelous ’19 had a career-high 3 assists in this game.

On Saturday, January 28th, Elmira College tied Utica College 2-2 after going into overtime. Both of Elmira’s goals were scored in the first period. The first was a power-play goal scored 37 seconds into play by Maddy Jerolman ’19, which was assisted by Meg Lahey ‘19, and Louisa Lippiatt Durnell ‘18. The second goal was scored by Rachel Grampp ‘18 and assisted by Anna Tude ’17 and Johanna Eidensten ‘17. The first of Utica’s goals was scored at the end of the first period. The second period did not have any goals scored. Utica’s second goal came during a power-play about half-way through the third period to tie the game. No one was able to score during overtime, resulting in a 2-2 tie. Jerolman is credited as having the fastest goal scored this season and earned a team-leading fourth power-play goal this season. Lippiatt Durnell earned her team-leading 16th assist this season.

On Sunday, January 29th, Elmira College took the 5-2 victory over Utica College. Elmira scored two points in the first period. The first was by Katie Granato ’19 and assisted by Kristin Chivers ’19 and Maddie Evangelous ’19. The second was about halfway through the period and was scored by Kiana Melvin ‘20 and assisted by Johanna Eidensten ’17. The second period started with a goal by Utica, which was responded to by a power-play goal by Eidensten, who was assisted by Meg Lahey ’19 and Louisa Lippiatt Durnell ’18. The third period began with a power-play goal by Utica, which was answered by two more goals from Elmira. Evangelous scored the first with help from Katie Granato ’19 and Maddy Jerolman ’19. The second was scored by Granato with an assist by Sarah Hughson ‘18. Also to be noted, Elmira College has not lost to Utica College in 18 consecutive matches against Utica.

Men’s Volleyball:

Men’s Volleyball was busy this week, attending two invitationals. The first was the Marymount Invite in Arlington, Virginia on Friday where EC played Marian University and then nationally ranked Marymount University. Elmira fell 3 sets to 1 to Marian University from Wisconsin in the first match of the day. The second game was Elmira against nationally ranked #12 Marymount University where EC fell 3 sets to none.

The second invitational this week was the Stevenson Invite, which was held in Owings Mills, Maryland on Saturday where EC played Southern Virginia University and nationally ranked Stevenson University. Elmira fell 3 sets to 2 against Southern Virginia University in their first match. The second game was Elmira against nationally ranked #12 Stevenson University where EC also fell 3 sets to 2.

This Week in Sports

Tuesday 1/31/2017: Women’s Basketball at home against St. John Fisher College at 6 p.m., Men’s Basketball at home against St. John Fisher College at 8 p.m.

Friday 2/3/2017: Men’s Volleyball away at the Nazareth Tournament starting at 3 p.m. playing Johnson and Wales, New Paltz, and UC Santa Cruz, Women’ s Basketball at home against Stevens Institute of Technology at 6 p.m., Men’s Basketball at home against Stevens Institute of Technology at 8 p.m., Women’s Ice Hockey home against Oswego State at 7 p.m., Men’s Ice Hockey away against Utica College at 7 p.m.
Saturday 2/4/2017: Women’s Basketball at home against Houghton College at 2 p.m., Men’s Basketball at home against Houghton College at 4 p.m., Women’s Ice Hockey home against Oswego State at 3 p.m., Men’s Ice Hockey home against Nazareth College at 7 p.m.