The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

This Week in Sports Recap…Athletic Alumni Weekend Edition

Rachel Alibozek ’17

More stories from Rachel Alibozek '17

Elmira College Athletics

Elmira College Athletics

Men’s Basketball

Elmira played three games this past week, including their senior night game. On Tuesday, Elmira lost 59-70 to Empire 8 competitor St. John Fisher. Henry Cuffee ’19 scored 18 points, which is his second highest points scored in a game this season, 7 rebounds, and went 8-for-8 on free throws, which is a career high for Cuffee. Also to be noted, both Justin Porrett ’19 and Alex Ischiropoulos ’20 scored 9 points each.

On Friday, Elmira took a loss 71-88 against Empire 8 competitor Stevens Institute of Technology. Matt Davis ’17 scored a team-high and career-high 18 points and went 8-for-9 in free throw shots. Henry Cuffee ’19 scored 13 points and had a team-high 6 rebounds and Justin Porrett ’19 scored 12 points and had a game-high of 8 assists.

Saturday’s game was senior night, where they honored seniors Matt Davis ’17 and Ryan Brooksbank ’17. Unfortunately, Elmira took home a 64-70 loss to Empire 8 competitor Houghton College. Henry Cuffee ’19 had a great game having scored 21 points and went 9-for-11 in free throws. This was his second career game where he got over 20 points in a game. Hayden Harkins ’18 scored 12 points, Justin Porrett ’19 scored 10 points, and Davis had a game-high 9 rebounds, tying with a Houghton player.

Women’s Basketball

Elmira women’s basketball hosted three home games this past week. The first game was Tuesday, where Elmira lost 53-59 to Empire 8 competitor St. John Fisher. Danielle Cleary ’18 scored a game-high 20 points, which is the fifth game she’s played scoring over 20 points, and teammate Rachel Vespucci ’19 had a game-high of 15 rebounds. Vespucci’s 15 rebounds tied with her third highest number of rebounds this season and she also earned a season-high of 3 steals. Lindsey Heaton ’19 scored 10 points, which makes this her tenth consecutive game scoring double-digit points.

On Friday, Elmira took home a 71-83 loss to Empire 8 competitor Stevens Institute of Technology. Teammates Danielle Cleary ’18 and Rachel Vespucci ’19 both played terrific games. Cleary scored a game-high and season-high 27 points as well as tying season-high scores in both field goals and three-pointers with 9 field goals and 4 three-pointers. Vespucci earned a double-double having scored 14 points and getting 12 rebounds. This is her tenth double-double this season.

Saturday’s game was senior night, where they honored senior Marissa Silverman ’17. Unfortunately, Elmira took a 44-65 loss to Empire 8 competitor Houghton College. Rachel Vespucci ’19 earned her eleventh double-double with a team-high 12 points scored and also team-high 10 rebounds. The last time this was completed was fifteen years ago in the 2003-04 season where Jennifer Parker ’06 was making a run for the Empire 8 Player of the Year award. Danielle Cleary ’18, Lindsey Heaton ’19, and Lauren Franklin ’20 all scored 8 points and Cleary earned 3 three-pointers, which ties Sarah Cote ’06 as being fifth place in Elmira history for career treys.

Men’s Ice Hockey

This week was an exciting week in men’s ice hockey. The first game was on Friday night, where Elmira traveled to Utica, but unfortunately lost in overtime 2-1. Utica got the first goal only 4 minutes into the first period. Elmira’s Connor Powell ’20 scored to tie the game at the end of the second period during a power play with assists from Tyler Theodoulou ’18 and Matthew Cuce ’20. Overtime only lasted just over 2 minutes because of a Utica goal scored during a power play, which won them the game. Powell earned his team-leading 24th goal this season and Cuce earned his 18th assist this season, which puts him at third place in the ECAC West for assists. Goal keeper Sal Magliocco ’17 became the sole possessor of sixth place in EC history with the most saves at 1,799 saves in his college career.

On Saturday, Elmira took the exciting overtime win over Nazareth College at the Murray Athletic Center. Freshman Calvin Hughson ’20 scored the first goal of his EC career in the first period, assisted by Chris Moses ’19 and Brent Lafayette ’19. Shortly after, Hughson and two Nazareth players were given penalties for roughing. This game was full of energy, which also led to many penalties. In the second period, Tyler Theodoulou ’18 and a Nazareth player both received penalties for hitting after the whistle and at the same time, Noah Anderson ’19 was given a penalty for interference, giving Nazareth the power play. During this power play, they tied up the game 1-1. No goals were scored in the third period, forcing the game into overtime. Just 46 seconds into overtime, Elmira’s Anthony Parrucci ’20 got the puck into the back of the net to win the game with assists from Theodoulou and Mitch Atkins ’19. Senior Sal Magliocco ’17 made 28 saves before relief goalie Parker Butler ’20 came in to make 21 more saves. This was Elmira’s first overtime win this season and the second consecutive year where Elmira won in an overtime goal against Nazareth during Athletic Alumni Weekend.

Women’s Ice Hockey

On Friday, #5/5 Elmira College took a 4-0 victory over #7/8 Oswego State at the Murray Athletic Center. The first period was stagnant in terms of points, but the first goal of the game was scored only 41 seconds into the second period. This was scored by Sarah Hughson ’18, who was assisted by Katie Granato ’19 and Rachel Grampp ’18. The second goal was only 6 minutes later, scored by Ari Smith ’18, who was assisted by Jessica Prance ’17. The third goal came in the third period from Johanna Eidensten ’17, who was assisted by Hughson and Maddy Jerolman ’19. The final goal was scored unassisted on an open net by Louisa Lippiatt Durnell ’18. Goalie Kelcey Crawford ’18 made a career-high 36 saves, which was last done by Kyle Nelson ’17 in the 2014-15 season when she made 36 saves.

On Saturday, Elmira played Oswego State for the second time this weekend, where Elmira and Oswego state tied 2-2. Oswego got the first two goals of the game in the first half of the first period. Elmira responded shortly after the second goal with two goals of their own. The first was scored by Maddy Jerolman ’19, who was assisted by Rachel Grampp ’18. The second goal was only 24 seconds later, which was scored by Sarah Hughson ’18 and assisted by Johanna Eidensten ’17 and Jerolman. No goals were scored in the second or third periods, which forced the game into overtime. Neither team was able to score in the overtime period either, which resulted in a 2-2 tie.

Men’s Volleyball

This weekend, Elmira College took part in the Golden Flyer Invitational, where EC played three matches. The first was on Friday, where Elmira fell 1-2 to New Paltz. Matthew Buffum ’18 had a team-high 12 kills and match-high 6 blocks while teammate Mark Kawecki ’17 had 5 kills and a match-high 10 digs.

The second game was also on Friday, where Elmira fell 0-3 to University of California Santa Cruz. Mark Kawecki ’17 led Elmira College with 7 kills while teammates Jeremy Best ’19 and Matthew Buffum ’18 earned 5 and 4 kills respectively. Buffum also made 6 blocks this match, which is his second highest number of blocks in a match so far this season. Ryan Branigan ’19 led Elmira College with 3 digs.

The third and final game of the invitational was on Saturday, where Elmira fell 2-3 against Johnson and Wales University. Jeremy Best ’19 made a career-high 53 assists, which was last done in March last year by Carlos Faccio ’16. Ryan McDonough ’18 had a match-high 17 kills and also scored 12 digs. Mark Kawecki ’17 made a season-high 15 kills and career-high 13 digs. Ryan Branigan ’19 also made a game-high tying 16 digs.

This Week in Sports

Tuesday: Women’s basketball away against Ithaca College at 6 p.m. and men’s basketball away against Ithaca College at 8 p.m.  

Thursday: Women’s Basketball away against Nazareth College at 6 p.m. and men’s basketball away against Nazareth College at 8 p.m.

Friday: Men’s ice hockey at home against Neumann University at 7 p.m.; men’s volleyball at home against Southern Vermont at 4 p.m. and against D’Youville College at 8 p.m.

Saturday: Women’s ice hockey away against Plattsburgh State at 3 p.m.; men’s volleyball at home against The Sage Colleges at 12 p.m. and against Lasell College at 4 p.m.; men’s ice hockey at home against Manhattanville College at 7 p.m.

Sunday: Women’s ice hockey away against Plattsburgh State at 3 p.m.