The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

Super Bowl LI: A Game for the Books

Rachel Alibozek ’17

More stories from Rachel Alibozek '17

GLENDALE, AZ - FEBRUARY 01:  Tom Brady #12 of the New England Patriots celebrates with the Vince Lombardi Trophy after defeating the Seattle Seahawks during Super Bowl XLIX at University of Phoenix Stadium on February 1, 2015 in Glendale, Arizona. The Patriots defeated the Seahawks 28-24.  (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)

GLENDALE, AZ - FEBRUARY 01: Tom Brady #12 of the New England Patriots celebrates with the Vince Lombardi Trophy after defeating the Seattle Seahawks during Super Bowl XLIX at University of Phoenix Stadium on February 1, 2015 in Glendale, Arizona. The Patriots defeated the Seahawks 28-24. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Warning: I am from New England and am therefore biased in favor of the Patriots.

Today is a great day for residents of Pats Nation. The New England Patriots made the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history sending the game into overtime, which is also a Super Bowl first, to take the win. This is Tom Brady and Bill Belichick’s legendary fifth Super Bowl victory.

The game started a little slow, with no one earning any points in the first quarter. The second quarter is really where the Falcons started stepping up and the Patriots started losing it. After a kick by Falcons’ Matt Bryant, Devonta Freeman made a 5-yard run to put the Falcons on the board. Just a few minutes later, Matt Ryan made a 19-yard pass to Austin Hooper to score a second touchdown. That same quarter, Robert Alford made an 82-yard interception return to score a third touchdown, making the score 21-0 and creating the illusion that the game was already over. To end the half, Patriots’ Stephen Gostkowski made a 41-yard field goal to put the Patriots on the board.

One of the best parts of the Super Bowl is the famous half-time show. Lady Gaga rocked it this year, hosting a solo show. She made it clear that America should be a place about love and acceptance, including her hit “Born This Way” in her medley. She also made a political statement when she started off by singing Woody Guthrie’s “This Land is Your Land,” which was written as a negative response to the patriotic tune “God Bless America.” Guthrie’s tune is something that has also been played at many protests recently, which indicates that Gaga is making a statement toward modern culture. Overall, she had a wonderful show full of lights, interesting costume changes, and her biggest hits.

Back to the game; the third period was the beginning of the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history. The Falcons’ Tevin Coleman caught a 6-yard pass from Ryan to score a fourth touchdown in this quarter, making the score 28-3 over the Patriots. It seems almost virtually impossible to come back from a 25-point deficit in less than a quarter-and-a-half and, according to Associated Press, no one has ever made a comeback of more than 10 points to win the Super Bowl.

The fourth quarter was total Patriots domination. Patriots’ kicker Gostkowski scored a 33-yard field goal to start the streak. In the next ten minutes, two Patriots touchdowns were scored to tie the game. First, quarterback Tom Brady made a 6-yard pass to Danny Amendola to score a touchdown. The tying touchdown was scored after a 1-yard run by James White for the extra 2 points. Not to be forgotten, Patriots’ receiver Julian Edelman made an incredible record-setting 23-yard catch between Falcons’ cornerback Robert Alford’s feet after having bounced off his knee. Having scored the 25 points in the fourth quarter to tie, the game was forced into the first overtime in Super Bowl history.

The football overtime results in sudden death, meaning that the victory goes to the first team to score a touchdown. Less than five minutes into the overtime, Patriots’ James White made a 2-yard run to get the ball just past the line for the final touchdown. The game ended with a score of 34-28 Patriots.

Associated Press has also mentioned that the NFL released a list of Super Bowl records that were broken this year, which consisted of 24 different records. The majority were related to quarterback Tom Brady, the record number of times he’s been to the Super Bowl, the epic comeback, and that this is the first Super Bowl to go into overtime. These two teams have a great rivalry, which made for this to be such an exciting game. I am well aware that if you are not part of Pats Nation, you want to see them fall, but at the same time, no Pats fan wanted to see Roger Goodell take the victory over the Patriots after having instigated Deflategate last year, which led to Brady’s 4-game suspension at the beginning of the season. No matter who you were supporting, you have to admit that the fourth quarter showed that the Patriots really are the team to beat.