The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

Challenge What You Think You Know

Nicole Derosia ’17

More stories from Nicole Derosia '17

Shantisa Strowder

Shantisa Strowder

Being a Senior in college, I am at the point in my undergraduate career where I am taking the last of the credits that I need to graduate. This includes general education credits, which I am finishing with a Foundations of Education class. My other options were Marketing (no, absolutely not) or Introduction to Criminal Justice, which seems interesting enough, but my schedule would not allow it. So, I went with the education class.

Entering the class with a science background, I assumed it would be on “how to teach;” I figured the class would be an easy A, and I could move on with my life and other course work. As it turns out, I could not have been further from the truth. The first few classes began with the syllabus and the introduction chapter of the text. It was then that I realized that this class was not geared toward teaching people how to teach, but teaching students the history and importance of public education, as well as the controversy surrounding such a subject.

I was completely naive; I had no clue as to why schools were founded, why the drive for education existed. I thought, as many people do, that education was the most important route for making yourself a competitor in the real world and in the economy. Here I was not wrong, but there was so much information that I was missing. I learned that the foundation of education was entirely political, a method for creating the best economy nationally and globally for the United States by way of educating the public. This information also brought forth all of the controversial topics that have influenced education as we know it, topics that are still and have been relevant for decades or even more, such as discrimination, the concepts of equal opportunity and education, the political agenda of public school, you name it. Topics that are controversial in politics right now apply to education as well in ways that I could not have imagined.

Why say all this? I made a judgement call about this class and what it entailed too early. I figured that, because it was not science, I would be bored out of my mind. I was also confused as to how someone could have a PhD in education, and how they would conduct research in such a field. I have learned so much in the past five weeks alone, not only about education, but also about politics and the controversial topics about which we so frequently argue. Not to mention my professor is absolutely brilliant, and teaches the subject in a such a way as to prompt thought and discussion. She thoroughly analyzes education and its history from all angles, offering the well thought out opinion and discussion.

Next time you are about to enter something new, do not be so quick to make the judgement call as I was. I challenge you to look at something from a new viewpoint and with an open mind. While the history of education might not be the most important information for my future, the purposes and political aims will be, as they encompass all that we do, especially in today’s day and age.