The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

It Ends With Us Review

More stories from Diandra Alvarado ‘17

Colleen Hoover

New York Times best-selling author Colleen Hoover is one of the major forces in adult literature, and her recent work, It Ends With Us, exemplifies why that is. Hoover’s novel follows the story of Lily Bloom: a young, driven small business owner in Chicago, who ultimately falls for a successful neurosurgeon, Ryle Kincaid. She finds herself instantly attracted to his allure and complexities, struggling with her budding feelings for a man that has made it clear that he does not do relationships. However, despite their initial commitment issues, the two fall in love.

While reading this story, I did feel that the initial stages of their love story was rushed and surface level. However, as the novel further progressed, I became most interested in the flashbacks of Lily’s first experience with love when she re-reads her childhood diaries – each entry addressed “Dear Ellen” since Ellen Degeneres was her favorite person at the time. In these diaries, readers are provided with a glimpse into her home life as well as her first stumblings in love with a homeless boy named Atlas Corrigan. This story within the story makes Lily a more fully rounded character, adding more layers not only to her as a person but also her present situation with Ryle as they navigate through their relationship. Once this story is fully fleshed out, it becomes a complex story of relationships – ones with a lover, one’s past and self.

Ultimately, what I most enjoyed about this book was its ability to humanize deeply flawed characters. It caused within me a sense of empathy for characters that I typically would write off as villainous from the start. Without giving away too many details, Hoover’s novel addresses deeply personal issues about love and the ugliness that is sometimes invoked in its name. It’s a novel that, while at first seems superficial, unravels into deeper waters, guiding readers through its many emotional waves along the way.