The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

This Week in Sports Recap

Rachel Alibozek ’17

More stories from Rachel Alibozek '17

Elmira College Athletics

Elmira College Athletics

Men’s Basketball

On Tuesday, Elmira College fell 83-67 to Empire 8 competitor Ithaca College. Three players scored double digit points in this game, including Alex Ischiropoulos ’20, Justin Ruback ’18, and Jesse Adelson ‘20. Ischiropoulos played a great game, scoring both team-high and season-high 21 points as well as earning a season-high 7 rebounds. Ruback scored 12 points, which ties his career high. Adelson scored 11 points all in the second half. As a team, Elmira made 52 rebounds, which is a season-high record that has not been matched since 54 rebounds were made in a game in 2003.

On Thursday, Elmira College fell 71-80 against Empire 8 competitor Nazareth College. Justin Porrett ’19 scored a season-high tying 23 points with 20 of them being in the first half. Matt Davis ’17 scored 13 points and made a game-high 8 rebounds. Hayden Harkins ’18 made 12 points all in 3-pointers.

Women’s Basketball

On Tuesday, Elmira College fell 68-60 to Empire 8 competitor Ithaca College. Ithaca had a double-digit lead for most of the game, but Elmira started a comeback in the fourth quarter. The top scorers of the game include Emily Green ’18, Danielle Cleary ’18, and Rachel Vespucci ’19. Green scored a game-high 17 points, Cleary scored 14 points and made a game-high and career-high tying 14 rebounds, and Vespucci scored 13 points and 2 rebounds. Also to be noted, Lindsey Heaton ’19 scored 5 points and made a game-high 8 assists.

On Thursday, Elmira College fell 56-49 to Empire 8 competitor Nazareth College. Danielle Cleary ’18 scored a game-high 21 points, while both Lauren Franklin ’20 and Lindsey Heaton ’19 scored 9 points. Rachel Vespucci ’19 scored 7 points, but also made a game-high 11 rebounds.

Men’s Ice Hockey

On Friday night, Elmira College fell 5-1 to ECAC West competitor Neumann University. Elmira was the first team to put a point on the board, which was a power play goal scored by Spencer MacLean ‘20 and assisted by Mitch Atkins ’19 and Blake O’Neill ’19.  Neumann responded by scoring 2 goals in the first period as well. Unfortunately, Neumann netted 2 more goals in the second and their final goal in the third period. This was goalie Charl Pretorius ‘19’s second appearance in goal and he made 29 saves overall.

On Saturday night, Elmira College fell 4-3 to ECAC West competitor Manhattanville College. Manhattanville was the only team to score in the first period and they also got off 2 goals in the second period before Elmira got on the board. On a power play, Spencer MacLean ’20 was able to get the puck to the back of the net assisted by both Eddie Nolan ‘17 and Andrew Pucci ‘20. At the end of the second period, Elmira got another point on the board unassisted from Connor Powell ’20, despite being down a man from a penalty. This was Powell’s team-leading thirteenth point this season. Manhattanville scored a controversial fourth goal that was argued to have been off of a high-stick to give them a 2-point lead. With less than a minute on the clock, Mitch Atkins ’19 netted a goal after goalie Charl Pretorius ’19 was taken out for an extra player. Atkins was assisted by Matthew Cuce ‘20 and Harry Kramer ‘20. This assist for Cuce puts him at thirty-second in the country for assists per game and eighteenth in the country for freshman points per game. Unfortunately, Elmira was unable to score the fourth point to tie, which led to Manhattanville earning the victory.

Women’s Ice Hockey

On Saturday night, #4/4 Elmira College fell 4-2 to ECAC West competitor #1/1 Plattsburgh State. This loss ended a 10-game win streak this season. Plattsburgh got the first goal of the game during a power play. Elmira soon responded with a goal of their own, scored by Jessica Prance ’17, who was assisted by Louisa Lippiatt Durnell ‘YR and Meghan Fonfara ‘YR. The second period had a similar result where Plattsburgh scored a power play goal, which was quickly responded to by an Elmira goal. This was also scored by Prance, who was now assisted by Fonfara and Rachel Grampp ’18. Unfortunately, Plattsburgh was able to net two more goals in the third period to win the match. However, Elmira goalie Kelcey Crawford ’18 was able to make 33 saves during the match. This is the third game both in her career and this season where Crawford has made more than 30 saves.

On Sunday, Elmira once again took on the Plattsburgh State Cardinals. Unfortunately, Elmira fell 4-0 this time around. There was only 1 goal scored in the first period by Plattsburgh. The second period held two goals and one of them was completed while Plattsburgh had someone in the penalty box. The fourth goal came in the third period, which was also completed while there was a Plattsburgh player in the penalty box. Elmira was only called for one penalty the entire game while Plattsburgh was called on five. Elmira goalkeeper Kyle Nelson ’17 was able to make a season-high 32 saves with 12 of them being in the first period. Plattsburgh’s victory puts Plattsburgh State at #1 in the ECAC West Tournament and Elmira College at #2. The ECAC West Semifinal game will be hosted at the Murray Athletic Center on February 26th.

Men’s Volleyball

This weekend, Elmira College hosted the Elmira College Invitational. On Friday, Elmira played Southern Vermont and D’Youville College. Elmira swept the match against Southern Vermont 3-0. In the entire match, Southern Vermont only made 10 kills, while Elmira’s Ryan McDonough ’18 made 9 kills and Matthew Buffum ’18 made 8 kills. Henry Cleveland ’20 made 6 kills and a team-leading 7 digs.

The second match on Friday, Elmira swept D’Youville College 3-0. In this match, Elmira set a new season-high attack percentage of .303. Matthew Buffum ’18 met his career-high kill percentage at .900 with team-high 9 kills. Ryan McDonough ’18 made 8 kills and Dan Symer ’19 made 7 kills. Ryan Branigan ’19 made 9 digs and Jeremy Best ’19 made 30 of EC’s 31 assists.

The first match on Saturday was an Elmira sweep 3-0 over The Sage Colleges. Elmira had the match-high attack percentage of .542 after the first set. Ryan McDonough ’18 made match-high 13 kills and career-high 5 aces while teammates Matthew Buffum ’18 and Dan Symer ’19 had 7 and 6 kills respectively. Jeremy Best ’19 made 28 assists and 3 attacks that all resulted in kills while Matt Straney ’20 made a personal season-high and match-high 6 blocks.

The second game on Saturday and the final game in the Elmira College Invitational resulted in Elmira falling 3-0 to #15 ranked Lasell College. Mark Kawecki ’17 had a team-high 7 kills, followed by Matthew Buffum ’18 with 6 kills and Dan Symer ’19 with 5 kills. Ryan Branigan ’19 made a team-high 8 digs and Jeremy Best ’19 made 19 assists.

Men’s Tennis

Elmira College men’s tennis started their spring season this week with a match against Salem International. Unfortunately, Elmira fell 6-3. All 3 doubles matches were won by Salem International. Elmira was able to take 3 of the 6 singles matches. Anthony Colavito ’20 and Chris Konow ’18 won their singles matches at second and third place respectively and teammate Jordan Curtis ’19 won his single in sixth position.

THIS WEEK:

Tuesday 2/14/17: Women’s Basketball vs. Alfred University at home at 6 p.m. and Men’s Basketball vs. Alfred University at home at 8 p.m.

Wednesday 2/15/17: Women’s Basketball vs. St. John Fisher College away at 6 p.m. and Men’s Basketball vs. St. John Fisher College away at 8 p.m.

Thursday 2/16/17: Men’s Tennis vs. Oneonta College at home at 4 p.m.

Friday 2/17/17: Men’s Ice Hockey vs. Hobart College at home at 7 p.m.

Saturday 2/18/17: The Men’s Volleyball UVC Crossover at Elmira has home games at 11 a.m. vs. Stevens Institute of Technology and at 4 p.m. vs. Vassar College; Women’s Basketball vs. Utica College away at 2 p.m.; Women’s Ice Hockey vs. SUNY Potsdam at home at 3 p.m.; Men’s Basketball vs. Utica College away at 4 p.m.; and Men’s Ice Hockey vs. Hobart College away at 7 p.m.

Saturday 2/19/17: Women’s Ice Hockey vs. SUNY Potsdam at home at 2 p.m.

NEXT WEEK (February Break):

Wednesday 2/22/17: Men’s Volleyball vs. Ramapo College away at 7 p.m. and the Men’s Ice Hockey ECAC West First Round game with opponent, time, and location TBA

Thursday 2/23/17: Women’s Ice Hockey ECAC West First Round game with opponent, location, and time TBA

Friday 2/24/17: Men’s Volleyball SUNY Poly Invite game vs. Wilkes University away at Utica at 7 p.m.; Men’s Basketball Empire 8 Semifinal: teams, time, and location TBA; and Women’s Basketball Empire 8 Semifinal: teams, time, and location TBA

Saturday 2/25/17: Men’s Volleyball SUNY Poly Invite games vs. Rivier College at 1 p.m. and vs. Arcadia University at 3 p.m. both away at Utica; Men’s Basketball Empire 8 Championship game: teams, time, and location TBA; Women’s Basketball Empire 8 Championship game: teams, time, and location TBA; Men’s Ice Hockey ECAC West Semifinal game: teams, time, and location TBA

Sunday 2/26/17: Women’s Ice Hockey ECAC West Semifinal game at home and the time and opponent are TBA.

**Empire 8 and ECAC semifinal and championship games are based on results of the previous round