The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

The End of Winter and Start of Spring Sports Weekly Recap-Break Edition

Rachel Alibozek ’17

More stories from Rachel Alibozek '17

Elmira College Athletics

Elmira College Athletics

Men’s Basketball

On Tuesday, February 14, Elmira College fell 66-84 to Empire 8 competitor Alfred University. Elmira had a season-high .500 shots made from the field. EC’s Justin Porrett ’19 played all 40 minutes and made 16 points and teammate Jesse Adelson ’20 made 9 points all in 3-pointers.

On Wednesday, February 15, Elmira College fell 63-75 to Empire 8 competitor St. John Fisher College. Elmira made 8 of 9 free throws and had both more assists and blocks than St. John Fisher. Henry Cuffee ’19 scored 13 points in the first half and made a team-high 7 rebounds while teammate Hayden Harkins ’18 scored 15 points in the second half. Harkins scored 21 points total, which was a team-high in this game and also ties his season-high record. After this game, Harkins has made 178 3-pointers, which is the fifth highest record in EC men’s basketball history.

The game on Saturday, February 18, was the season-closer for EC men’s basketball. Elmira fell 36-70 to Empire 8 competitor Utica College. Elmira’s 36 points is the lowest score they’ve ended a game with this season. However, Elmira made 6 steals, which is tied for second-highest number of steals in a game this season.

Women’s Basketball

On Tuesday, February 14, Elmira College took the 68-59 victory over Empire 8 competitor Alfred University. Three Elmira players scored over 10 points: Rachel Vespucci ’19, Lindsey Heaton ’19, and Emily Green ’18. Vespucci scored the team-high and career-high 25 points, made 9 boards, and had a career-high 13 free throws. Heaton scored 17 points and Green scored 12 points. This game was Elmira’s first home-win against an Empire 8 competitor and Elmira had new season highs in both free throw attempts and free-throw points made having gone 29-for-38.

On Thursday, February 15, Elmira College fell 71-85 to Empire 8 competitor St. John Fisher College. Elmira made more rebounds than St. John Fisher and had three players score more than 10 points: Danielle Cleary ’18, Rachel Vespucci ’19, and Emily Green ’18. Cleary made a team-high 20 points along with 7 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 blocks, and 2 steals. Vespucci completed a double-double with 19 points and a game-high 12 rebounds, and Green scored 15 points. With her 12 rebounds, Vespucci beat out Katy Knox ’85 for sixth place for rebounds earned in a single season with 258 rebounds.

The game on Saturday, February 18, ended the season for Elmira College women’s basketball. Elmira fell 44-56 to Empire 8 competitor Utica College. Danielle Cleary ’18 scored a game-high 13 points and Rachel Vespucci ’19 scored 10 points as well as 15 rebounds. With these rebounds, Vespucci moved to #4 on EC’s list of rebounds in a single season, having passed both Mary Kay Babcock ’82 and Sheila Aber ’87. Vespucci also became the first player in 15 years to make 13 double-doubles. With her 13 points, Cleary moved up to #4 on Elmira’s list of all-time scorers with 1,150 points made and also moved into eighth place on EC’s list of single-season leading scorers with 392 points. Teammate Lindsey Heaton ’19 made 6 assists, which puts her at #3 on EC’s list of assists in a single season with 109 assists.

Men’s Ice Hockey

On Saturday, February 18, Elmira fell 1-7 to ECAC West competitor Hobart College, which knocked Elmira out of competing in post-season competition. The first period held 2 goals for Hobart, with the first being scored within the first 2 minutes of the game. The second period started with a goal for EC’s Matthew Cuce ’20, who was assisted by Connor Powell ’20 and Spencer MacLean ’20. However, this was followed up by 2 more goals by Hobart with 1 on a power-play and a major penalty and game misconduct against Noah Anderson ’19. The third period held 3 more goals for Hobart, with 2 of them being unassisted and the second unassisted goal being short-handed. Despite all these goals, EC goal keeper Charl Pretorius ’19 made a career-high 40 saves. The last time an EC goal keeper made over 40 saves in a game was Sal Magliocco ’17 in January against this same team.

The season-ending game for EC men’s ice hockey and senior night was on Sunday, February 19, against Hobart College. This game was supposed to have been played on Friday, February 17, but was moved to First Arena on Sunday after some technical problems at the Murray Athletic Center. At this game, Elmira honored its 2 seniors: defenseman Eddie Nolan ’17 and goalie Sal Magliocco ’17. Nolan has been selected to continue playing hockey professionally with the Huntsville Havoc of the SPHL in Alabama. Elmira fell 1-3 to the Hobart College Statesmen. No goals were scored in the first period by either team. The second period also started out scoreless, but the action started with a short-handed goal by Hobart 12 minutes into the second period. This was followed by a power-play goal also by Hobart. The third period saw a little more action than the other 2 periods. In the third period alone, Hobart earned 1 major penalty and 4 misconduct penalties and Elmira earned no major penalties, but 2 misconduct penalties. The scoring started with an EC power-play goal by Nick Ford ’20, who was assisted by Harry Kramer ‘20 and Connor Powell ’20. This was answered by a power-play goal by Hobart at the end of the game. Powell ended the year with 27 points, which is the most earned in a season since the 2004-05 season and the most earned by a freshman in a season since Pierre Rivard ’04 in the 2000-01 season. This puts Powell as being tied for second in the ECAC West for points earned by a freshman, seventh for points overall, eighth for number of goals with 13, and tenth for points earned during power-plays with 12. Goalie Charl Pretorius ’19 stopped a new career high 43 shots.

Women’s Ice Hockey

On Saturday, February 18, Elmira won 3-1 over ECAC West competitor SUNY Potsdam. No goals were scored in the first period of play and Elmira started the scoring with 2 goals in the second period. The first one was scored just after the half-way point in the second period by Katie Granato ‘19, who was assisted by Kiana Melvin ‘20 and Maddy Jerolman ‘19. The second was scored by Shannon Strawinski ‘19, who was assisted by Sarah Hughson ‘18 and Rachel Grampp ’18. The third period held a power-play goal by Johanna Eidensten ‘17, who was assisted by Jerolman and Meg Lahey ‘19. This was answered by a power-play goal by SUNY Potsdam.

On Sunday, February 19, Elmira won 6-1 over SUNY Potsdam. This was senior night for Elmira College women’s hockey and they honored five seniors: goalie Kyle Nelson ’17, forward and Captain Anna Tude ’17, forward and Captain Johanna Eidensten ’17, forward Sydney Fischer ’17, and forward and Captain Jessica Prance ’17. The first period held a triad of goals for Elmira College. The first was scored only 2½ minutes into the game by Louisa Lippiatt Durnell ‘18, who was assisted by Sarah Hughson ’18 and Shannon Strawinski ’19. The second was only a few minutes later and was scored by Jessica Prance ’17, who was assisted by Meghan Fonfara ‘18 and Meg Lahey ’19. The third goal was scored by Ari Smith ‘18, who was assisted by Fischer and Rachel Grampp ’18. The second period only had one goal and it was for Elmira College. Maddy Jerolman ’19 scored this lone goal with assists from Maddie Evangelous ‘19 and Katie Granato ’19. The third period started with a power-play goal from SUNY Potsdam, but was answered by 2 more goals from Elmira College. The first goal was scored by Hughson, who was assisted by Grampp, and the second goal was scored by Granato, who was assisted by Lahey and Tiia Hertto ‘20.

Because Elmira finished second in the ECAC West, we earned a first-round bye, sending Elmira straight to the semi-finals. Elmira took a 6-0 victory over Buffalo State, which means Elmira is heading for the championships. In their game against Buffalo State, 1 goal was scored in the first period. This was by Meg Lahey ’19, who was assisted by Meghan Fonfara ’18. The second period also only held 1 goal for Elmira. This was by Maddy Jerolman ’19, who was assisted by Katie Granato ’19 and Maddie Evangelous ’19. The third period held 4 goals for Elmira. Louisa Lippiatt Durnell ’18 scored two of them, with the first being a power-play goal assisted by Kristin Chivers ‘19 and Evangelous and the second assisted by Sarah Hughson ‘18 and Shannon Strawinski ‘19. Evangelous scored a short-handed goal with an assist by Granato. The fourth goal was scored by Anna Tude ’17, who was assisted by Ari Smith ‘18 and Fonfara.

With this victory, Elmira is headed to the championships! Nationally ranked #4/5 Elmira College will be taking on nationally ranked #1 Plattsburgh State at Plattsburgh on Saturday, March 4th at 3:00 p.m.

Men’s Volleyball

The UVC Crossover at Elmira was held on Saturday, February 18. The first game, Elmira fell 0-3 to nationally ranked #2 Stevens Institute of Technology. Elmira finished with a .222 attack percentage against Stevens Institute of Technology. Ryan McDonough ‘18 made a match-high 17 kills, Matthew Buffum ‘18 made 7 kills, and Dan Symer ‘19 made 6 kills. Ryan Branigan ‘19 made a match-high 7 digs and teammate Jeremy Best ‘19 made a match-high 32 assists.

The second game of the UVC Crossover at Elmira resulted in Elmira falling 0-3 to nationally ranked #8 Vassar College. Elmira completed more blocks than Vassar, but attack percentage, digs, and aces all favored Vassar. Ryan McDonough ’18 made a match-high 11 kills and Ryan Branigan ’19 had a team-high 7 digs. Jeremy Best ’19 made 23 assists, 3 digs, and 2 blocks while Garrett Coleman ’20 made 3 blocks.

On Wednesday, February 22, Elmira fell 1-3 to Ramapo College. Elmira led in both service aces and blocks against Ramapo and three EC players set season-highs. Matthew Buffum ’18 had a match-high and career-high 19 kills as well as 5 blocks. Ryan McDonough ’18 had a match-high and career-high 15 digs as well as 12 kills and 4 blocks. Matt Straney ’20 had a march-high and career-high 7 rejections. Also to be noted, Mark Kawecki ’17 had 8 kills and 10 digs and Jeremy Best ’19 made 45 of Elmira’s 49 assists.

The SUNY Poly Invite was Friday, February 24, and Saturday, February 25. The first game was on Friday where Elmira swept Wilkes University 3-0. Elmira had a .278 attack percentage and had more blocks and kills than Wilkes. Matthew Buffum ’18 had a match-high .600 hitting percentage and tied with teammate Dan Symer ’19 at each earning a match-high 10 kills. Jeremy Best ’19 assisted on 31 of Elmira’s 39 kills and Matt Straney ’20 had a team-high 4 blocks. Ryan McDonough ’18 made 6 kills, 6 digs, and team-high 4 aces.

The second game of the SUNY Poly Invite was Saturday and Elmira fell 0-3 to Rivier College. Ryan McDonough ’18 made a team-high 11 kills, Jeremy Best ’19 made 24 assists and 5 digs, Dan Symer ’19 made 6 digs and a team-high 2 aces, and Ryan Branigan ’19 made 8 kills.

The last game of the SUNY Poly Invite resulted in a 3-2 victory over Arcadia University. Service aces, blocks, kills, and digs were all in favor of Elmira College and 3 Elmira players each made double-digit kills. Ryan McDonough ’18 made a match-high 18 kills as well as 17 digs. Mark Kawecki ’17 made 12 kills and 16 digs and teammate Dan Symer ’19 made 11 kills, 9 digs, and match-high 3 service aces. Ryan Branigan ’19 made a match-high 21 digs and Jeremy Best ’19 made 44 assists and a team-high 6 blocks.

Men’s Baseball

The season opener for EC men’s baseball was held in Virginia against Christopher Newport University, where Elmira fell 5-6 in the eleventh inning. Newport earned 4 runs in the first inning and the next run was not scored until the sixth inning, where Elmira scored 3 runs. These were credited to Tommy Fogarty ‘20, Conor Bawiec ’18, and Nate Hanner ‘18. The seventh inning held 2 more runs for Elmira, credited to Bryce Plante ‘18 and Hayden Rothenberg ‘17. A run scored by Christopher Newport in the eighth inning tied the game and no runs were scored in the ninth inning, sending the game into extra innings. The tenth inning also had no runs scored and the eleventh inning ended with Christopher Newport scoring a run to end the game.

The Armstrong Invitational was held on Friday through Sunday, February 24-26, in North Carolina. In the first game on Friday, Elmira fell 4-8 to Methodist University. The first inning favored Elmira as EC scored 2 runs by Hayden Rothenberg ’17 and Tommy Fogarty ’20. These were left unanswered until the fifth inning, where Methodist scored their first run off of an Elmira error. The sixth inning was disastrous for Elmira, who allowed Methodist to score 4 more runs, with 3 off them being unearned. The seventh inning held 2 more runs for Elmira, completed by Dennis Rudolph ’18 and Cameron Heggie ’18. The eighth inning had 4 more runs for Methodist and only 1 was unearned. Elmira could not score any runs in the ninth inning, which ended the game in a loss for EC.

The second game of the Armstrong Invitational was held on Saturday where Elmira took a 2-1 victory over Rutgers University-Camden. Both of Elmira’s runs were scored in the first inning by Hayden Rothenberg ’17 and Jack Thistle ’18. RU-Camden answered with a homerun in the second inning, but no runs were scored after that despite Elmira making 11 hits and only 1 error.

The last game of the Armstrong Invitational was held on Sunday where Elmira fell 4-19 against Mitchell College. The first inning started with a single run by Mitchell. This was answered by Elmira’s 3 runs in the second period, which were all unearned and scored by Nate Hanner ‘18, Bryce Plante ‘18, and Cameron Heggie ‘18. Mitchell followed this with 5 runs in the third period. Elmira was able to score another unearned run in the fourth from Plante, but that was the end of the scoring for Elmira this game. Mitchell was able to score 3 runs in the fifth inning, 2 runs in the sixth inning, 7 runs in the seventh inning, and 1 more run in the eighth inning. Elmira was able to make 7 hits this game, but also made 5 errors.

Men’s Tennis

Elmira College men’s tennis fell 1-8 to SUNY Oneonta on Thursday, February 16. Elmira lost all 6 singles matches and 2 doubles matches, but was able to take the victory in the top doubles match. Patrick Tracey ’18 and Theo Tran ’20 took a 9-8 victory over Oneonta. This was the first time this season that Elmira was swept in singles matches and the doubles match was Tran’s first career victory.

Men’s Lacrosse

In the season opener, Elmira fell 9-11 to Neumann University. The first half was evenly matched, ending 4-4. The first four goals for Elmira were scored by Nevin Olney ’18, both unassisted, and Wyatt Katsos ’17, who had one unassisted and the other assisted by Donato Cipriano ’20. After the half, Elmira scored 2 unassisted goals by Joe Greene ’17 and Seth Amstein ‘19. Neumann followed up with three goals of their own to end the third quarter. The fourth quarter started with an unassisted goal by Anthony LaRusso ’17. Neumann scored 2 more before Olney was able to score a third unassisted goal. The last five minutes of the game had 2 goals from Neumann and an Elmira goal from LaRusso, who was assisted by Katsos.

This Week in Sports

Wednesday 3/1/17

• Men’s Volleyball vs. Keuka College away at 7 p.m.

Saturday 3/4/17

• Men’s Lacrosse vs. Keuka College at home (Campus field) at 1 p.m.
  • Men’s Tennis vs. Oswego State at home (MAC) at 1 p.m.
  • Women’s Ice Hockey ECAC West CHAMPIONSHIP vs. Plattsburgh State away at 3 p.m.