The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

Split Review

Frank Ockenfels

Frank Ockenfels

Nominated only in the London Critics Circle Film Awards so far, Split is sure to find more award nominations coming soon. Good psychological thrillers are hard to find, but this movie is surely one. M. Night Shyamalan, known for having plot twists galore, brings another edge-of-your-seat thriller through writing and producing Split.

Split is about a man suffering with Dissociative Identity Disorder (also known as DID and Multiple Personality Disorder) and failing to keep his personalities under control. Kevin Crumb (James McAvoy) kidnaps 3 teenage girls and holds them underground. The girls seem to come from a posh life without problems, but the audience soon learns that the lead teenager, Casey (Anya Taylor-Joy), has had anything but an easy time. While the girls struggle to escape and Casey has childhood flashbacks, Kevin has meetings with his psychiatrist, Dr. Fletcher (Betty Buckley), who specializes in DID. Dr. Fletcher knows something is terribly wrong, but Kevin’s 23 personalities are at war with one another as a 24th personality is about to surface.

Split offers a darkened insight into the life of someone struggling with Dissociative Identity Disorder. While the film certainly exaggerates the disorder, going beyond actual scientific capabilities, it brings further awareness to a rare mental illness that many know nothing about. James McAvoy certainly was stretched, and proved his skill, as an actor with clear portrayal of the various personalities housed in Kevin’s mind and body. The movie ends with a massive plot twist that leaves it open to a possible sequel. Whether you have an interest in psychology, thrillers, or criminal justice, this movie is sure to spark a curiosity on multiple personalities and leave your mind spinning.