The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

This Week in Sports Recap

Rachel Alibozek ’17

More stories from Rachel Alibozek '17

Elmira College Athletics

Elmira College Athletics

Women’s Ice Hockey

The Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) West championship was held this past Saturday at Plattsburgh State where nationally ranked #1 Plattsburgh State took the 2-1 victory over nationally ranked #5 Elmira College. This was Plattsburgh State’s fifth consecutive and seventh overall ECAC West Championship victory. For Elmira, Kelcey Crawford ’18 was in goal and made an overall 29 saves. The first goal was scored by Plattsburgh late in the first period. Elmira put themselves on the board with a goal in the second period scored by Shannon Strawinski ‘19, who was assisted by Sarah Hughson ‘18 and Louisa Lippiatt Durnell ‘18. The second period ended in a 1-1 tie and early in the third, Plattsburgh was able to get the game-winning goal in during a power play after Strawinski was called on a penalty for hooking. Lippiatt Durnell was the only player for EC to make the ECAC West All-Tournament team, having scored 2 goals and 1 assist between the semifinal and final rounds of the ECAC West tournament.

With this victory, Plattsburgh State gets an automatic bid to compete in the NCAA tournament, but because Elmira is second in the ECAC West, their position in the post-season tournament was decided by the NCAA. Elmira was selected to continue on to the NCAA tournament, alongside Plattsburgh State, University of St. Thomas from Minnesota, Norwich University from Vermont, Middlebury College from Vermont, Adrian College from Michigan, University of Wisconsin – River Falls, and Gustavus Adolphus College from Minnesota. The first round will begin on either March 10 or 11 and Elmira will be traveling to Michigan to play Adrian College for the first game. The other matches include Plattsburgh State facing University of St. Thomas, Middlebury facing Norwich University, and University of Wisconsin – River Falls facing Gustavus Adolphus College. This is Elmira’s fifth consecutive season going into the NCAA tournament and second consecutive season facing the Adrian College Bulldogs in the first round. Elmira took the victory in the post-season game last year, but when Elmira went to the East-West Hockey Classic in Northfield, Vermont in January, Adrian College took the victory there.

Men’s Lacrosse

On Sunday, Elmira fell 4-15 to Keuka College at home. The first goal was scored by Elmira’s Nevin Olney ‘18, who was unassisted. Keuka was also able to get one goal in the first quarter. In the second quarter, Elmira was unable to get any goals, while Keuka was able to get off 5. In the third period, Keuka got 2 more points on the board before Elmira was able to get another one. EC’s second point was scored by Anthony LaRusso ’17, who was assisted by Olney. The fourth period started with a goal for Elmira, which was scored by Colby Runk ’18, who was assisted by LaRusso. This was quickly followed by a Keuka goal only 10 seconds later and then 5 more before Elmira got the last goal of the game, which was scored by David Keisler ‘20, who was assisted by Wyatt Katsos ’17.

Men’s Tennis

Elmira took the home win 7-2 over Oswego State on Saturday. Elmira won the first three singles matches and the fifth. Theo Tran ’20 won the first singles match, Anthony Colavito ‘20 won the second, Patrick Tracey ‘18 won the third, and Yaniv Kogan ‘18 won the fifth. Chris Konow ’18 was defeated in the fourth match and Jordan Curtis ‘19 was defeated in the sixth. Elmira was also able to take all three of the doubles matches. The first pair, Tran and Tracey, won 8-0, Konow and Gervase won 8-2 for the second match, and the third match was won 8-3 by Colavito and Kogan.

No games this week.

Men’s Volleyball

Elmira took a 3-0 victory over Keuka College at Keuka on Wednesday. Elmira had the advantage inn blocks, assists, and aces. Matthew Buffum ‘18 had a strong performance, earning the match-highs in kills with 14, hitting percentage with .813, and blocks with 4. Ryan Branigan ’19 also made 8 digs, which is tied for a match-high.

This Week:

Wednesday 3/8/17

Women’s Lacrosse against Lycoming College at Lycoming at 4 pm

Men’s Volleyball against Nazareth College at Nazareth at 7 pm

Saturday 3/11/17

Men’s Volleyball UVC Crossover at New Paltz against New Paltz at 11 am and against Bard College at 1:30 pm

Men’s Baseball against The City College of New York away at 12 pm

Women’s Lacrosse against Keuka College at Corning Community College Field at 1 pm

Men’s Lacrosse against Muhlenberg College at Muhlenberg at 1 pm

Sunday 3/12/17

Men’s Baseball against Penn State Abington at Abington at 11:30 am