The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

This Week in Sports Recap

Rachel Alibozek ’17

More stories from Rachel Alibozek '17

Elmira College Athletics

Elmira College Athletics

Baseball:

All three games this weekend as part of the Cavalier Invitational were cancelled

Men’s Lacrosse:

Saturday’s game against SUNY Cobleskill was postponed

On Sunday, Elmira travelled to play Muhlenberg College, where Muhlenberg took a 20-4 victory. Muhlenberg was able to score 4 unassisted goals before Elmira’s Anthony LaRusso ’17 was able to put EC on the board with a goal assisted by Kevin DiMagno ’20. Before the period was over, Muhlenberg was able to get 2 more goals scored. The second period consisted of 7 points for Muhlenberg and 1 point for EC with only 25 seconds left on the clock. This was scored by Nevin Olney ’18, who was assisted by Joe Greene ’17. The third period started with alternating goals between Elmira and Muhlenberg, followed by 3 consecutive Muhlenberg goals. The first for EC was scored by Wyatt Katsos ’17, who was assisted by Olney, and the second was also scored by Katsos, but this time unassisted. The fourth period was slower, with only 2 goals scored and both by Muhlenberg.

Women’s Lacrosse:

On Saturday, Elmira played their second game of the season at Buffalo State, where Elmira fell 17-7. In the first half, Buffalo State scored 9 goals, while Elmira only scored 4. Hayley Baker ’19 scored the first with an assist from Sarah Hughson ’18. The next 2 goals were only a minute apart with the first scored by Rachael Goetz ‘20, who was assisted by Kelsey Quail ’17, and the other scored unassisted by Kiana Melvin ’20. The fourth goal of the half was scored by Quail, who was assisted by Baker. The second half started with 3 consecutive Elmira goals, which were scored by Hughson unassisted, Kyra McDonald ’18 assisted by Baker, and Baker unassisted. The rest of the half consisted of 8 consecutive Buffalo State goals and Elmira unable to answer to them.

Men’s Tennis:

On Friday, Elmira hosted and swept Pennsylvania College of Technology 9-0. All 6 singles matches were won by Elmira with scores of 6-0 or 6-1 and all three doubles teams won with 8-0 scores. This was Elmira’s first shutout of the season and Yaniv Kogan ’18 made his 20th career straight-set win, which puts him at sixth for all-time number of straight-set wins.

Men’s Volleyball:

On Thursday, Elmira made a 3-0 sweep over D’Youville College. The first 2 matches of the game were relatively close, ending in scores of 25-20 and 25-19. The third match, however, was an easier victory with EC taking the win 25-8. EC finished the game with a .564 attack percentage, which is a new program record. Ryan McDonough ’18 led the team with a match-high 12 kills with Mark Kawecki ’17 following close behind with 11. Kawecki also finished the game with a match-high .733 hitting percentage, match-high 5 aces, and match-high tying 5 digs.

On Saturday, Elmira took a 3-2 victory over Baruch College at Elmira. Elmira took the first, second, and fifth matches while Baruch took the third and fourth. Ryan McDonough ’18 finished the match with 19 kills, 9 digs, and 2 aces. Matthew Buffum ’18 ended the match with a team-leading .400 attack percentage and 7 blocks. After this game, Elmira is 10-7 in the season and on a 3-game win streak so far against non-conference teams. In addition, Buffum’s 16 kills puts him at sixth highest in EC history for career number of kills with 485 and teammate Mark Kawecki ’17 made 15 kills this game to put his career total at over 600, which makes him the fourth EC player to have over 600 kills in their career.

This Week in Sports:

Tuesday 3/21/17:

• Men’s Volleyball vs. Penn State-Behrend at 7 p.m. at home

Wednesday 3/22/17:

• Men’s Baseball vs. Marywood University at 3 p.m. away
  • Women’s Softball vs. Lycoming College at 3 p.m. away

Thursday 3/23/17:

• Men’s Tennis vs. Marywood University at 2:30 p.m. away
  • Women’s Lacrosse vs. New Paltz at 4 p.m. at the Corning Community College Field

Friday 3/24/17:

• Women’s Softball vs. Hilbert College at 3 p.m. away

Saturday 3/25/17:

• Women’s Tennis Soaring Eagle Spring Invite at 9 a.m. at home
  • Men’s Baseball vs. Utica College at 1 p.m. at home
  • Men’s Lacrosse vs. Nazareth College at 1 p.m. away
  • Women’s Lacrosse vs. Cazenovia College at 1 p.m. at the Corning Community College Field

Sunday 3/26/17:

• Men’s Baseball vs. Utica College at 12 p.m. at home
  • Women’s Softball vs. SUNY Canton at 1 p.m. at home