The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

This Week in Sports Recap

Rachel Alibozek ’17

More stories from Rachel Alibozek '17

Elmira College Athletics

Elmira College Athletics

Men’s Baseball

The game on Wednesday against Marywood University was cancelled.

On Saturday, March 25, Elmira played a double-header against Utica College. In the first game, Elmira took a 10-4 victory, with runs scored by Nate Hanner ‘18, Dennis Rudolph ‘18, Bryce Plante ‘19, Matt van Muelken ‘18, and Cameron Heggie ’18, and 2 runs for Hayden Rothenberg ’17 and Tommy Fogarty ’20. The second game of the double-header also ended with an Elmira victory, but this time of 6-5. Elmira’s runs were scored by Rudolph, Rothenberg, Connor Bawiec ’18, Will Jenkins ’18, Jack Thistle ’18, and Sam Plaugher ’20.

The game on Sunday against Utica College was postponed.

Men’s Lacrosse

On Saturday, Elmira fell 20-2 to Nazareth College in the first Empire 8 game of the season. Elmira was only able to get off 1 point in the second quarter and another in the third while Nazareth scored 2 in the first quarter, 8 in the second, and 5 in both the third and fourth. Elmira’s points were scored by Colby Runk ’18 unassisted and by Wyatt Katsos ’17 assisted by David Keisler ’20.

Women’s Lacrosse

On Thursday, Elmira fell 7-13 to SUNY New Paltz in New Paltz. In the first half, Elmira scored 3 times while New Paltz scored 5, with New Paltz holding a 2-point lead at the half. The second half consisted of New Paltz scoring 8 more times, while Elmira only scored 4 more times. For Elmira, the first half held goals by Hayley Baker ‘19 assisted by Mae Dinh ‘18, Kyra McDonald ‘18 assisted by Sarah Hughson ‘18, and Hughson assisted by Kelsey Quail ’17. The second half for Elmira held goals for Louisa Lippiatt Durnell ‘18 assisted by Baker, Quail assisted by Rachael Goetz ‘20, Goetz unassisted, and Rachel Grampp ’18 unassisted.

On Friday, Elmira fell 9-6 to Cazenovia College at the Ernie Davis School field in Elmira. Elmira was able to score 3 points each half while Cazenovia earned 5 goals in the first half and 4 more points in the second. The first 3 points for Elmira were scored by Kyra McDonald ’18 assisted by Rachel Grampp ’18, and 2 unassisted goals for Hayley Baker ’19. The second half held goals for Rachel Goetz ’20 assisted by Grampp, Kelsey Quail ’17 assisted by Grampp, and Goetz assisted by Baker. Sarah Hughson made 9 ground balls and 7 turnovers, which are both career-highs and the last player to do so was Moorea Spoljaric ’16 against Wells College. In addition, Grampp made 3 assists, which is a career-high, and goal keeper Lindsay Wargo ’17 made 12 saves, which is a season-high.

Men’s Tennis

On Thursday, EC men’s tennis swept Marywood in both singles and doubles. All 6 players won their singles matches and for pairs, Patrick Tracey ‘18 and Theo Tran ’20, Anthonly Colavito ‘20 and Yaniv Kogan ‘18, and Jordan Curtis ‘19 and Stephen Gervase ‘20, all won their matches as well.

Women’s Tennis

The Soaring Eagle Spring Invitational was held at the Murray Athletic Center on Saturday with Brockport and Wells participating in addition to Elmira. Elmira’s Tilila El Yazidi ‘20 played in the first flight singles matches, winning against Brockport 8-2 and 8-4 and then winning against Wells 8-1. Megan Fitzgerald ’18 played in the second flight singles and beat Wells 8-3 twice and beat Brockport 8-0. In the third flight, Emily Green ’18 beat Wells 8-1, but was defeated by Brockport 8-2 and 8-1. In the fourth flight, Danielle Bliss ‘19 beat Wells 8-5, but was defeated by Brockport 8-3 and 8-1. Lastly, in the fifth flight, Cheyanne Holwell ‘19 defeated Wells 9-7, but was defeated by Brockport 8-2. In that same flight, she was also defeated by another player from Wells 8-1. In terms of doubles, Fitzgerald and Yazidi defeated Brockport twice and Wells once. The other Elmira doubles pair was Bliss and Holwell, who defeated Wells twice, but was defeated by Brockport once.

Men’s Volleyball

On Tuesday, Elmira fell 3-1 to Penn State Behrend. Unfortunately for Elmira, this loss severely lessens their chance of earning the sixth place spot, which is the final spot to go to post-season games with the UVC. All four matches were played closely and had scores that reflected that. Penn State Behrend took the lead in the first and second matches, Elmira took the third, and Penn State took the fourth for the win. Mark Kawecki ’17 made 22 kills and 12 digs and had a personal attack percentage of .400. Ryan Branigan ’19 filled in as the team’s setter and made a career-high 40 assists.

This Week in Sports:

Monday 3/27/17:

• Men’s Tennis vs. Keystone College at home at 4 p.m.

Tuesday 3/28/17:

• Men’s Baseball vs. Wells College away at 3 p.m.
  • Women’s Softball vs. University of Pittsburgh at Bradford at home at 3 p.m.
  • Women’s Lacrosse vs. nationally ranked #10 Ithaca College away at 4 p.m.

Wednesday 3/29/17:

• Men’s Lacrosse vs. Houghton College at the Notre Dame High School in Elmira at 4 p.m.

Friday 3/31/17:

• Men’s Baseball vs. Houghton College away at 6 p.m.

Saturday 4/1/17:

• Men’s Volleyball at the UVC Crossover at NYU away with games at 11 a.m. against NYU and at 1:30 p.m. against MIT
  • Men’s Baseball vs. Houghton College away at 1 p.m.
  • Women’s Softball vs. St. John Fisher College away at 1 p.m.
  • Men’s Lacrosse vs. SUNY Geneseo away at 1 p.m.
  • Women’s Lacrosse vs. Utica College at Ernie Davis Academy in Elmira at 1 p.m.

Sunday 4/2/17:

• Women’s Lacrosse vs. New England College at Ernie Davis Academy in Elmira at 2 p.m.