The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

The Chemist Book Review

Stephenie Meyer

Stephenie Meyer

“You’ll make mistakes because it’s impossible to know what is or isn’t a mistake until it’s made.”

• The Chemist

Stephenie Meyer, known best for the The Twilight Saga and The Host, released her newest novel back in November and I knew I had to read it. The Chemist is nothing short of her captivating imagination; it’s a science-fiction story told from the point of view of a government agent. Don’t be misled, it’s not only fixated on action. Meyer made sure that The Chemist still contained the romance we grew to love in her writing between the protagonist and the unlikely hero.

The nerdy and loner female protagonist, Alex, works for the government in a secret organization that tortures people for answers by the use of chemical injections rather than physical torture.  They’re called, “chemists.” This strong-willed woman has become a different type of heroine that we’re not used to seeing. Alex has a set of unique chemical skills that make her stronger than the general government agent, since intelligence outweighs muscle mass.

Meyer begins the story by describing the hardships and obstacles Alex has faced since her employer determined she was a liability, and ordered her to be killed. By the end of chapter 1, it is apparent that Alex is experiencing severe PTSD from constantly being hunted by her former organization. In an interesting turn of events, Alex soon receives an email from one of her previous  bosses, proposing that she could redeem herself if she did one last job for them. Only then they will finally leave her alone. Alex sees this risk worth taking; however, once she takes the job, it only makes matters worse for her. She’s finds herself in the toughest fight of her life while falling for a man that would only complicate her survival.

My general opinion of this book is of no shock when discussing Stephenie Meyer’s novels; I HIGHLY recommend it. It was not a disappointment in regards to the action and exhilarating situations. Meyer creates a protagonist that faces all the exhausting odds of death, which creates this continuous urge to keep reading about Alex and her fight for survival. The most intriguing part about Alex was the fact that she uses her intelligence to out muscle her competition; the utmost respect to Meyer for creating another character that so many strong- willed women can relate to. I am never disappointed when reading Stephenie Meyer’s novels and will always recommend her to others. If this review interested you, I encourage you to invest your time in The Chemist – it’s completely worth it.