The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

Chelsey Blodgett ’20

Photograph: Gary Kempston

I believe that women should be able to do what they want with their bodies. I do not disagree that the life of the fetus matters, but the adult woman is ultimately the one who should decide what happens to the fetus. Since she is the one that has to carry the fetus and lives with the decision to keep the child or give him/her up for adoption, she should also have the option to have to live with her choice to have an abortion. After all, some life situations would be more painful than an abortion.

One major point I have regarding my opinion involves the quality of life the child would have if they were to be born. For example, there are many cases where, even if the child was born, it would not have a very favorable life. What if the mother did not have a job or money to support herself or the child? This would cause both of them to starve or have the mother possibly resort to illegal activities, What if the child was given up for adoption and was never adopted, or even worse, was adopted by evil people that were abusive? Both of these circumstances would cause the child to constantly wonder why their parents did not want them. Some might say that the child deserves a chance no matter what the circumstance, but realistically, there are very many children born into this type of life that become just the same as their parents. What would the purpose be to continue a cycle of lives such as these?

Therefore, if abortion becomes illegal, the only thing that will change is the amount of children born into poverty, abusive/toxic homes, or adoption centers. Giving women the choice allows them to be able to decide what is best for them instead of making them have a child they do not want that will most likely make their life harder and the child’s life even harder. Overall, it can be seen that the effects of pro-life are indeed not “pro” life, at least not for a life worth living.