The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

The Conjuring 2 – Movie Review

Nicole Derosia ’17

More stories from Nicole Derosia '17

For those of you avid horror fans, have no worry, the wait is over! Some of fans favorites (including mine) such as The Conjuring and Annabelle have returned in another sequel, The Conjuring 2, which is now available on Blu-Ray and DVD. Being a huge fan of horror films and The Conjuring movies and spin-offs, I had to see it, and I wasn’t disappointed.

The film continues on with the stories of Paranormal Investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren and their investigations into certain paranormal happenings. This case, based on the true encounter, brings them to London, England and the Hodgson family. Lorraine was cautious about taking their case after having a premonition of Ed’s death. After consideration, pressure from the Church, and a decision not to get spiritually involved, they agree to investigate and determine if the Church should handle the situation. They discover that the spirit thought to be haunting the family, who called himself Wilkins, had attached himself to one of the three siblings in the house, Janet. The Warrens do a preliminary investigation, attempting to catch evidence of Janet’s possession by the spirit. However, after they record a video of Janet faking destruction in the house, the Warrens leave, convinced that it was a hoax. Upon leaving, Lorraine has another vision. She discovers that the spirit of Wilkins is not the one causing the possession, but is only a pawn of a much more powerful and malevolent demon. They return, and Lorraine’s previous vision of Ed’s death begins to play out before her eyes. Desperate to stop the demon, but unsure as to how, Lorraine remembers a vision of the demon that she had had back at home. She had ordered it to tell her its name. In doing so, the demon had given Lorraine complete control over it. In the nick of time, Lorraine is able to take control of the demon and save Ed and Janet from death.

99974532conjuring_2-xlarge_trans5aky6kltchdyq3tvty_32cueenhxmpq1zmpochfg3qq

I like these films significantly more than I have like a lot of the horror films that have been released recently. Nowadays, they all go for the jump scares more than the suspense; they are more “horror” than they are “terror”. I miss the days of The Exorcist (1973) and Poltergeist (1982) where the focus was on suspense, instilling a deep feeling of dread rather than a few brief scares here and there. The Conjuring 2 was incredibly suspenseful. It also had a solid story line, like the films before it, making it more satisfying. Believe it or not, this movie was over two hours long! I would highly recommend this film for anyone who prefers the classic horror movie styles, and I would recommend not watching it alone!