The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

Extra! Extra! Tap All About It!

Nicole Derosia ’17

More stories from Nicole Derosia '17

Kyle Beekman

The Elmira College Tap Ensemble hosted their annual performance this past weekend for all interested in the art of tap dancing. The production took place at the Gibson Theater on the Elmira College campus.

The show featured a variety of steps within the tapping style; from traditional tap steps to Irish step dancing to basketballs, there was never a dull moment. The broad theme of “Extra! Extra! Tap All About It!” was all encompassing, allowing for high levels of freedom and creativity for the officers. The show was separated into sections of the newspaper, “The Daily Tapper”, allowing the choreographers to feature songs from all genres. The show incorporated tapping of all levels, from beginner to intermediate to advanced, and featured skits performed by Trevor Stone ’18, Thomas Bragg ’17, and Mikayla Rebusmen ’17. It was a captivating show with an excellent blend of technique and fun!

The officers of the student-run club include President Nicole Derosia ’17, Vice-President Megan Barney ’17, Secretary Monica Matt ’17, Treasurer Corin Noga ’18, Senator Leah Cunningham ’18, Public Relations Representative Beth Gleason ’18, and Fundraising/Events Coordinator Kallah Turner ’18, with Adviser Sarah Hammer. Each officer choreographed two dances alone, and one with another officer. The club offers dances taught and choreographed to different levels of tap. This allows for new and continuing tap dancers to join, to learn to dance, and to continue to grow throughout their time in the club. The annual showcase is a time for the dancers to display for the audience all that they have learned and improved on throughout the year.

While the ensemble only has one annual show, they will be making other appearances later on this term. They will be performing again at Dance Marathon, as well as at Relay for Life. If you are interested joining, it is never too late to join! While the show is over, the club remains active throughout the year. For more information on this, contact Nicole Derosia ’17 at nderosia17@elmira.edu.