The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss

Monica Matt ’17

More stories from Monica Matt '17

Ramen Hacks
February 10, 2017

http://bit.ly/1Z2azDL

It’s January…That means it’s time for New Year’s Resolutions! It’s interesting to see what goals people say they will accomplish during the year, but I find it even more interesting to see who actually sticks to their plan and achieves their resolution. One of the most common resolutions anywhere is about weight loss, and this is probably the WORST resolution you could possibly have. Not only is it hard to do, but so many people do not follow through with it, or they give up. Every year you can even witness it on our very own campus; by the time February rolls around the cardio and weight rooms will be significantly less crowded than they are now. It could be partially due to our generation’s need for instant gratification, but many people do not realize that weight loss does not happen overnight. Weight loss goals can promote practices that are severely detrimental to your well-being such as skipping meals, over-exercising, or other symptoms of eating disorders. If you want to lose weight in order to be healthier, you better lose that weight in a healthy manner or else you really can’t say you accomplished your goal. Weight is just a number. All body types are different. Weight can be dispersed in different locations on the body; some people carry it in their stomach, and others in their legs or arms. The location can be partially hereditary and also dependent on the activities you normally partake in.

I think it’s safe to say that everyone at some point in their life has parts of their body they wish were different and think that weight loss is the way to change it. I am no different…thunder-thighs anyone? However, I personally gave up setting any goals ever that said, “I need to lose X pounds” or really anything that had to do with my physical appearance. I did this after visiting my doctor and being told that my BMI labels me as “overweight”. Here I am, the daughter of a dietitian and diabetes educator, and I am overweight. I was so disgusted with myself. I had been avoiding telling my mother my weight for years because I didn’t want her to think she had failed to do her job. To my surprise, when I finally told her she was shocked that I weighed so much and assured me that I did not look severely overweight. It was then that I realized that my actual health is not defined by numbers, but rather what I am doing to my body and my level of confidence in my body’s abilities.

If you want to make a fitness goal, you should try setting non-scale victory goals instead of going for overall weight loss. These NSV goals can include things like running for a whole mile without walking, being able to hold a certain yoga position for thirty seconds, or eating veggies three times a day, for example. This type of goal setting is so much better than weight loss goals because, rather than focusing on what is being lost, it focuses on what is being gained. It is about appreciating your body for what it is and what it can do. Being healthy is not about losing weight, but rather learning to enjoy the physical activities and the nutritious food that are part of that lifestyle. And you will find that, yes, if you change your mentality toward your body and fitness goals, you might lose some weight. You could even gain weight, but still look the same or better than before. Either way, that’s great, but do not let numbers stop you from continuing to make more fitness goals. Constantly challenging yourself to new non-scale victory goals will help you stay motivated to live in the healthiest way possible. So maybe for your resolutions, try a different kind of fitness goal, one that can stick with you for the whole year and perhaps years to come!

1 Comment

One Response to “The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss”

1. Donna Matt on January 19th, 2017 9:26 pm

Monica, I remember that conversation with you and am glad you are sharing in your article. You truly listened to what we discussed and really have embraced what being healthy is all about. Numbers are a means of measuring where we are whether it’s weight, total cholesterol, HDL, A1c, etc. and of course, it is important to know/have a goal of what healthy numbers are, but numbers are only a measurement. The most important take away message here is what you know to be true: use positive self talk instead of negative thoughts and continuously strive to be a better you. You rock!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss

Cover Story

Poland and Prague Journal Series: Part II

• The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss

Cover Story

Poland and Prague Journal Series: Part I

• The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss

Cover Story

Poland and Prague Journal Series: Introduction

• The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss

Literature Review

The Chemist Book Review

• The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss

Literature Review

Thirteen Reasons Why Review

• The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss

Sports

This Week in Sports Recap

• The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss

Sports

This Week in Sports Recap

• The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss

Entertainment

DIY Tattoos

• The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss

Opinion

Should Animals Be Kept in Zoos?

• The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss

Sports

This Week in Sports Recap

The Student News Site of Elmira College
The Worst Resolution-Weight Loss