The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

The Season So Far-Basketball, Hockey, and Men’s Volleyball

Rachel Alibozek ’17

More stories from Rachel Alibozek '17

Elmira College Athletics

Elmira College Athletics

Men’s Basketball

The Elmira College men’s basketball team has an overall season record of three wins and twelve losses. Of those games, one win and five losses are conference games. The Soaring Eagles have taken the win against Maritime College, Vassar College, and Empire 8 conference competitor Ithaca College. This past week, the Soaring Eagles played three games resulting in two losses and one victory. On Tuesday, EC fell 73-84 against Houghton College in an away Empire 8 match. Thursday night resulted in another away Empire 8 match loss to Alfred University, with a score of 39-77. Saturday held the Soaring Eagle’s first Empire 8 victory this season against Ithaca College with a home win of 66-63.

Women’s Basketball

The Elmira College women’s basketball team has an overall season record of five wins and nine losses with two victories and four losses being conference games. EC has taken the win over Gallaudet University, Pennsylvania College of Technology, SUNY Cortland, Houghton College, and Alfred University. This past week held three games, resulting in two conference wins and one conference loss. Tuesday night, the EC Soaring Eagles won at Houghton College 65-62 for the first conference victory of the season and Thursday night, the Soaring Eagles won away at Alfred University 64-52 for the second conference win of the season. On Saturday, the Soaring Eagles fell 54-98 to conference competitor Ithaca College.

Men’s Hockey

The Elmira College men’s hockey team has an overall season of six victories, ten losses, and one tie. Against nationally ranked teams, EC has one victory, two losses, and one tie. The Soaring Eagles have been able to take victories against Lebanon Valley College, SUNY Potsdam, Nichols College, SUNY Cortland, and nationally ranked Salve Regina while tying nationally ranked SUNY Geneseo. This past week, the Soaring Eagles played nationally ranked Hobart College and left with a 2-3 loss despite senior goalkeeper Sal Magliocco ’17 having saved a season-high 46 shots on goal.

Women’s Hockey

The Elmira College women’s hockey team has an overall season of twelve victories, two losses, and two ties. Of these games, ten victories are conference games. Currently, EC women’s hockey is nationally ranked at #5 for Division III. The ties came between nationally ranked Norwich University and Middlebury College, both Vermont teams, and the losses both occurred during a tournament at Norwich University, falling to both Norwich and nationally ranked Adrian College. This past week included three games resulting in three victories. Williams College hosted EC on Tuesday, with the Soaring Eagles taking the 6-1 victory. Elmira hosted William Smith College on Friday night, taking the victory at 4-1 and then was hosted at William Smith College on Saturday night, where EC also took the 4-1 victory, creating a 5-game victory streak against conference opponents.

Men’s Volleyball

The Elmira College men’s volleyball team has a season statistic of one victory and three losses, with no conference games having been played yet. The victory was against nationally ranked Rutgers-Newark and the losses were against Marymount University, nationally ranked Juniata College, and Lasell College. This past week, there were three games that included one victory and two losses. Rutgers-Newark hosted the Soaring Eagles on Friday, where EC took the victory at 3-2. Saturday, Juniata College hosted Elmira College for two games. The first was against Juniata College where Elmira fell 0-3 and the second was against Lasell College where Elmira also fell 0-3.

Sports This Week

This Tuesday for basketball, the Soaring Eagles host Nazareth College, the women at 6pm and the men at 8pm. This Thursday, women’s basketball hosts Wells College at 7pm. All games will be held in the Speidel Gymnasium.

Men’s ice hockey host Stevenson University at 7pm on Friday, and Lebanon Valley College at 7pm on Saturday. On Sunday, women’s ice hockey hosts Utica College at 3pm. All games will be held in the Murray Athletic Center.