The Student News Site of Elmira College

Octagon

This App Could Be Your Congressman’s Worst Nightmare

Monica Matt ’17

More stories from Monica Matt '17

Ramen Hacks
February 10, 2017

Lynette Brown

Lynette Brown

With the recent changes in national leadership, it seems like more people are getting invested in what is actually happening in our federal government. If you are anything like me, though, you probably do not really know the best place to find the legislation that matters to you. Others will tell you the “best” news station to watch, and on Facebook, you may see tons of political articles shared, but often you may find that the facts may be presented in such a way as to sway your opinion. So where can you go to get the lowdown of what is happening in Congress?

Countable is a free app and also a website that will help you better understand what ideas are being thrown around in the House of Representatives and the Senate.You have the ability to pick hot-issue categories that you are personally interested in, like education, military, and civil rights, and the app will show you proposed bills that fit in that category. The quick summaries of the active bills are easy to understand so you do not have to interpret political jargon yourself. There are also other critical details listed such as the sponsor(s) of the bill, the cost, who will be impacted, and the progress of the proposed bill.

The information is unbiased; for each bill a brief synopsis is given as to why one should support or not support the bill. This allows you the opportunity to form your own opinions rather than rely on what the media or your friends and loved ones are feeding you! You can share your opinions on the bill as well and see other users’ comments for both sides. The neatest feature of the app is that you actually can have your opinion heard. With every active bill you can vote “Yea” or “Nay” and that information will be sent directly to your state representatives. You can keep up with your representatives and see how they voted for past legislation by tapping on their profiles. When congressional elections come around again, you will know if the past position-holders actually represented your ideas! The title of this article is in fact what The Blaze said about the social media platform’s quick and easy way to contact representatives and hold them accountable in Congress.

Countable is great for both political-newbies and hardcore-future-politicians! Users can become more knowledgeable of current affairs and also take an active role in the legislation process that could possibly affect the country. Give it a try, and hopefully, your opinion will be heard!